Checklist - Out-of-State Learner’s Permit Conversion - 17 Years of Age and Younger

Print this Checklist [PDF] " "

Before you visit the RMV, use this checklist to Get Ready to Go.

The information and documents listed below are needed in order to process your Permit Conversion Application. If you don’t have the ones listed here, please review the Acceptable Documents List. Please make sure you have all the required information before coming to the Service Center.

  • Social Security Number or Denial Notice

    (*from Social Security Administration with valid Visa. Refer to the Visa Classification Codes for eligibility)
  • Date of Birth

  • You need just one of the following documents:
      • U.S. Passport – must be current
      • Non-U.S. Passport – must be current and contain Visa and I-94 (Refer to the Visa Classification Codes for eligibility)
      • Birth Certificate – must be an original
  • Parent or Guardian Consent

      • Parent/guardian signature is required on the application
        • Guardian must have proper documentation of authority – refer to the Driver’s Manual for specific documents
  • Out-of-State Permit (Passenger or Motorcycle)

      • You must be at least 16 years of age to obtain a Massachusetts Permit
      • The RMV does not convert Commercial Learner’s Permits
  • Driving Record

      • Must be certified and not more than 30 days old
  • Payment of $30

      • Payable by cash, check (payable to MassDOT), money order, or credit/debit card

A certified English translation is required for all documents not written or printed in the English language. In addition, all documents must be originals. Photocopies will not be accepted.

Gov Delivery MassDOT Twitter MassDOT Flicker MassDOT Facebook MassDOT Youtube MassDOT Instagram MassDOT Blog MassDOT SocialMedia MassDOT Developer Resources
Translation Disabled |  Translation Support
Copyright © 2017 Commonwealth of Massachusetts