Converting a Foreign License

License and ID

If you have recently moved to Massachusetts, you must obtain a valid Massachusetts license upon becoming a resident.

To Convert Your License

Complete an online application to convert your Class D, M, or D/M License. You may also download the Class D, M, or D/M License and ID Card Application

Bring the completed form, appropriate fees and required documentation to any RMV Full Service Center.


Conversion fees for out-of-state/foreign licenses can be found on our fee chart.

Converting a License from any Other Foreign Country

If you are converting a license from a country other than Canada, Mexico, the Republic of Korea, the Federal Republic of Germany, the Republic of France, Taiwan or one of the US Territories, you must take the full - written and road test, plus the eye test.

If you are from a country listed in the 1949 Road Acts Convention, you must have a sponsor and you must present your valid driver's license from that country and if needed, an English translation of the license.

Please note: An International Driving Permit cannot be converted to a Massachusetts Driver's License. An International Driving Permit does not confer any driving privileges but is a translation into ten major languages of the relevant information contained on the driver's home country license.

Caution: The Registrar and law enforcement agencies know that individuals or organizations have sold fraudulent documents as "International Driver Licenses" or "International Driving Permits." The Registrar does not recognize as valid any document purporting to be an "International Driver License" or any other document that confers driving privileges unless issued by the government agency that issues such licenses in the driver's country of residence and the driver is validly licensed. A person operating a motor vehicle with a fraudulent Massachusetts license is subject to arrest pursuant to MGL c. 90, §10.

Sponsor Requirements

Your sponsor must be at least 21 years old with a valid license and have a minimum of one (1) year of driving experience. Foreign license holders are not eligible to be sponsors.