Converting a License from Taiwan
A customer with a valid driver's license issued by Taiwan (Class B passenger license or Class A2 motorcycle license) may convert the Taiwanese driver's license to the equivalent passenger or motorcycle license if he/she meets the following requirements:
- Is at least 18 years of age
- Has a valid Social Security Number or an acceptable denial notice from the Social Security Administration with an acceptable visa class and I-94. (The I-94 can be either a paper version from US Customs and Border Protection or a printout of an electronic version downloaded from their website: http://www.cbp.gov/travel/international-visitors/i-94-instructions
- Is a Massachusetts resident
- The Taiwanese license is not expired, suspended, or revoked
A Taiwanese driver’s license conversion can only be processed at the Boston (Haymarket) Registry branch office. You must submit the following:
- Identification documents which prove the following:
- Massachusetts Residency
- Date of Birth
- Social Security Number (or acceptable denial notice, passport with valid visa, and I-94). (The I-94 can be either a paper version from US Customs and Border Protection or a printout of an electronic version downloaded from their website).
- The Taiwanese driver's license
- A Taiwanese driver's license translation completed and stamped by the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office in Boston (also known as TECO) or by an acceptable translator
- Original certified driving record issued no more than 60 days ago by the agency issuing the driver’s license and which indicates that the customer is licensed to operate passenger vehicles or motorcycles
- A translation of the driving record obtained from the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office in Boston or from an acceptable translator
- The completed Class D, M, or D/M License and ID Card Application
- The applicable fee
The Taiwanese driver's license must be surrendered and it will be kept for storage at the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office in Boston.
All documents must be originals. The Registry will not accept photocopies.