Converting an Out-of-State Learner's Permit

License and ID

Get Ready to Go

The law allows Massachusetts to accept a Learner's Permit from another state, if issued under a law similar to the Massachusetts Learner's Permit law. You will have to convert your out-of-state Learner's Permit to a Massachusetts Learner's Permit before you will be allowed to take the road test. In order to do so, you must present a certified copy of your driving record (the certification date cannot be more than thirty [30] days old), from the state that issued your Learner's Permit. You must have held the Learner's Permit for at least six (6) months (with a "clean driving record"-see question # 6) and meet all the other requirements of the new law.

Please note that Massachusetts will not accept a Learner's Permit from British Columbia, Montana or Washington State. (Before you can take a road test, however, you must also either successfully complete a Massachusetts Driver Education Course or provide evidence that you have successfully completed such a course in your previous home state. To convert an out-of-state Driver's Education Certificate, read the response to question # 10. Please note that the Registrar will not accept a Driver's Education Certificate from a state that does not meet or exceed the number of hours of classroom and in-vehicle instruction required of Massachusetts residents.

Gov Delivery MassDOT Twitter MassDOT Flicker MassDOT Facebook MassDOT Youtube MassDOT Instagram MassDOT Blog MassDOT SocialMedia MassDOT Developer Resources
Translation Disabled |  Translation Support
Copyright © 2017 Commonwealth of Massachusetts