The Massachusetts Rider Education Program (MREP) does recognize most Rider Education Programs that are certified and approved in another state. Massachusetts residents who take and pass a MSF certified motorcycle safety course in a different state are eligible to receive their Massachusetts motorcycle license/endorsement as long as they have a MA motorcycle permit AND submit the following paperwork within 180 days of the training:
- A completed Application to Accept an Out of State Motorcycle Rider Education Program Certificate
- A copy of your Massachusetts Motorcycle Learners Permit
- A copy of your Motorcycle Safety Foundation Completion Card
- A copy of your Rider Course Skill Evaluation and Knowledge Test on the schools letterhead.
- Payment of the $15.00 endorsement fee. Payments can be made by:
- Online using the Pay My Road Test/License Fees transaction
- Mailing to the address listed below (check or money order)
- In person at a Registry of Motor Vehicles branch
- Over the Phone:
- Step 1: Call 857-368-8000 (from the 339, 617, 781, or 857 area codes or outside of MA) or 800-858-3926 (from all other area codes in MA)
- Step 2: Say "Road Test"
- Step 3: Say "Pre-Pay"
- Step 4: Say your Permit Number. Do not be concerned when the system says "Scheduled Road Test"
- Step 5: Say your Date of Birth
- Step 6: The total should be $15.00. Pay with credit card
Paperwork can be mailed to:
Registry of Motor Vehicles
Massachusetts Rider Education Program
165 Liberty Street
Springfield, MA 01103
Attention Program Coordinator
Or faxed to 413-736-9873 - Attention Program Coordinator
For information about Rider Education Programs in other states please visit the sites below.
www.msf-usa.org - Motorcycle Safety Foundation Website
www.smsa.org - State Motorcycle Safety Administration Website
www.motorcycleawareness.com - for general information