Please refer to this section if you have purchased a new or used vehicle and are applying for a new registration. If you are transferring a registration, please read the Transferring a Registration section.
Please note that registration fees vary by plate type. See the Fee Chart for a list of RMV plate types and fees. A $75.00 title fee and the applicable sales tax will also be collected.
Light and Medium Duty Vehicles That Have Not Been Previously Titled
The Certificate of Origin must be imprinted with a statement of compliance by the manufacturer indicating that the vehicle is California-certified.
Statements that comply:
- This vehicle has a California emission system
- This vehicle meets/satisfies Massachusetts emission standards
- This vehicle is certified/legal for sale in Massachusetts
- This vehicle is certified/legal for sale in 50 states
Statements that do not comply:
- This vehicle meets/satisfies Federal emission standards
- This vehicle is certified/legal for sale in 49 states
- This vehicle is certified/legal for sale in New York or Vermont
- A dealership certification stamp
- No statement
For more information on this, please visit the Department of Environmental Protection website.