Registering Limited Use Vehicles


Limited Use Vehicle Plate Limited Use Vehicle Plate Limited Use Vehicle Plate Limited Use Vehicle Plate Limited Use Vehicle Plate

Limited Use Vehicle (LUV)

Moped, Limited Use Vehicle or Motorcycle List (PDF 141 kb)

A "limited use vehicle" is any motor vehicle that meets all of the following requirements:

  • Has 2 or more wheels
  • Has a certificate of origin
  • Has a 17 character VIN
  • Has been certified by the manufacturer to meet Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) for that particular class of vehicle (e.g. passenger, motorcycle, truck, etc.), and
  • Whose speed on a paved level surface can exceed 30 miles per hour but is not capable of exceeding 40 miles per hour.

Note: In most instances the maximum speed of the vehicle will not be on the Certificate of Origin. It will be up to the dealer, insurance agent, and the customer to ensure the vehicle is properly registered.

How to Register a Limited Use Vehicle

  • An Application for Registration & Title (RMV-1 Form) must be completed and signed by the owner(s). If the vehicle is purchased from a Massachusetts licensed dealer, the dealer will complete the RMV-1.
  • The completed RMV-1 must be accompanied by one of the following documents:
    • A manufacturers Certificate of Origin (new vehicles only), or
    • The previous owner's Certificate of Title, Dealer Re-Assignment form if applicable, or
    • The previous registration and bill of sale for vehicles that are exempt.
  • Bring the completed RMV-1 form, the required documents, along with the required Registry fees and sales tax (if applicable) to the nearest RMV Full Service Center.

Types of Registrations Available

  • Passenger
  • Commercial
  • Livery
  • Motorcycles
  • Taxis

How much does a Limited Use Registration cost?

Limited Use Registration fees will vary depending on plate type, please refer to the RMV fee chart. You will be required to pay 6.25% Massachusetts Sales Tax.

IMPORTANT NOTE: If a two or three-wheeled vehicle has a maximum speed greater than 30 mph and has not been certified by its manufacturer as a motorcycle or motor-driven cycle with National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), it cannot be registered as a "Moped" or a Limited Use vehicle and cannot be legally operated on the roads of the Massachusetts.

Gov Delivery MassDOT Twitter MassDOT Flicker MassDOT Facebook MassDOT Youtube MassDOT Instagram MassDOT Blog MassDOT SocialMedia MassDOT Developer Resources
Translation Disabled |  Translation Support
Copyright © 2018 Commonwealth of Massachusetts