Please refer to this section if you have purchased a new or used vehicle and want to transfer your existing registration to that vehicle. If you are applying for a new registration, refer to the Applying for a New Registration section.
To transfer a plate from one vehicle to another of the same type, the fee is $25.00. A $75.00 title fee and the applicable sales tax will also be collected.
An individual, corporation or company may transfer an existing registration from one vehicle to another if the following conditions apply:
- The registration is active.
- The owners on the registration will not change.
- Both vehicles conform to the same plate standards.
Is there a Grace Period for Transferring a Registration?
If you own a vehicle or trailer and purchase a new vehicle or trailer from a dealer or purchase a used vehicle or trailer from a private party, you may transfer your registration to the newly acquired vehicle. Massachusetts allows a grace period of seven (7) calendar days from the date you dispose of your previous vehicle to register your newly acquired vehicle.
Under this grace period, the following conditions must be met:
- You must be at least 18 years old.
- The newly acquired vehicle or trailer must be of the same type and have the same number of wheels as the previous vehicle or trailer.
- You must carry the transfer documents, which show the registration number to be transferred, in your vehicle.
- You must have lost possession of or disposed of your previous vehicle.
- The registration plates must be attached to the newly acquired vehicle.
Please note, there is no grace period if you do not currently have a registered vehicle or trailer. The RMV does not issue temporary registration plates.
For more information about the Seven-Day Registration Transfer Law (MGL c.90, Sec. 2), refer to our FAQs About the Seven-Day Transfer Law.