Purchased from a Massachusetts Dealer:
- Have the dealer complete and sign an Application for Registration & Title (RMV-1 Form).
- You then must go to a licensed Massachusetts insurance agent to obtain an active insurance policy and have the agent stamp and sign the RMV-1 application.
If there is a lien against the vehicle, please make sure the lienholder information is complete and accurate.
- The completed RMV-1 must be accompanied by one of the following documents:
- A manufacturers Certificate of Origin (new vehicles only), or
- The previous owner’s Certificate of Title, Dealer Re-Assignment form if applicable, or
- The previous registration and bill of sale for vehicles that are exempt because of their age.
- If presenting the Certificate of Origin or the previous owner's title, be sure the date sold, the odometer reading and the purchase price have been completed on the back. The dealer or the previous owner(s) and you must sign the back of either of these forms.
- Take the completed RMV-1 application and supporting documents to the nearest RMV Full Service Center.
A 6.25% sales tax will be collected at this time based on the purchase price of the dealer sale. If the dealer is not registered with the Department of Revenue, the sales tax will be calculated at 6.25% of the purchase price or the National Automotive Dealer Association (NADA) trade-in value, whichever is higher.
After completing the transaction, you will receive a registration certificate with the new vehicle information. The title will be processed and mailed in approximately six (6) to eight (8) weeks. If you have a loan on the vehicle, the title will be mailed directly to your lienholder.
You must obtain a vehicle inspection sticker within seven (7) days of the registration date.