Purchased from an Out-of-State Dealer:
- You must go to a licensed Massachusetts insurance agent to obtain an active insurance policy and have the agent complete, stamp and sign an Application for Registration & Title (RMV-1 Form).
If there is a lien against the vehicle, please make sure the lienholder information is complete and accurate.
- The completed RMV-1 must be accompanied by one of the following documents:
- A manufacturers Certificate of Origin (new vehicles only), or
- The previous owner's Certificate of Title, Dealer Re-Assignment form if applicable, or
- The previous registration and bill of sale for vehicles that are exempt because of their age.
- Take the completed RMV-1 application and supporting documents to the nearest RMV Full Service Center.
If the dealer is not registered with the Department of Revenue, the sales tax will be calculated at 6.25% of the purchase price or the National Automotive Dealer Association (NADA) trade-in value, whichever is higher.
After completing the transaction, you will receive a registration certificate with the new vehicle information. The title will be processed and mailed in approximately six (6) to eight (8) weeks. If you have a loan on the vehicle, the title will be mailed directly to your lienholder.
You must obtain a vehicle inspection sticker within seven (7) days of the registration date.