Disabled Veterans' plates are issued to veterans who:
- Have a vehicle registered in their name,
- Meet Medical Affairs guideline*, and
- Provide the DV Plate letter from the Veteran's Administration that list impairments which otherwise qualify for disabled parking and total at least 60% service connected rating.
*To obtain Disabled Veterans' plates you must be a Massachusetts resident.
In addition, a Massachusetts registred and licensed physician, chiropractor, or
nurse practitioner must certify that you meet one of the following conditions:
- Cannot walk 200 feet without stopping to rest.
- Cannot walk without the assistance of another person, prosthetic aid, or other assistive device.
- Are restricted by lung disease to such a degree that your forced (respiratory) expiratory volume (FEV) in one second, when measured by spirometry, is less than one (1) liter.
- Use portable oxygen.
- Have a Class III cardiac condition according to the standards set by the American Heart Association.
- Have a Class IV cardiac condition according to the standards set by the American Heart Association. A customer in this condition must surrender his or her license.
- Have Class III or Class IV functional arthritis according to the standards set by the American College of Rheumatology.
- Have been declared legally blind (please attach copy of certification). A customer in this classification must surrender his or her license.
- Have lost one or more limbs or permanently lost the use of one or more limbs.
Disabled Veterans are eligible for one (1) set of plates.
Procedure to Obtain Disabled Veterans' Plates:
An Application for Disabled Parking Placard/Plate must be completed.
Mail the completed Application for Disabled Parking Placard/Plate and
photocopy of your DV Plate letter from the Veteran's Administration stating that your disability
is at least 60% service connected to:
Registry of Motor Vehicles
Attn: Medical Affairs
PO Box 55889
Boston, MA 02205-5889
There is no fee for the issuance or the renewal of the Disabled Veteran plates.
This plate must be renewed every two (2) years.