Suspensions & Hearings

Operator Licensed in Massachusetts, Visiting Out-of-State

All operators who are licensed in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and required to have an IID to operate a vehicle must continue to use an IID equipped vehicle when travelling out-of-state. Failure to use an IID and meet all IID requirements will result in the immediate suspension or revocation of your driver’s license.

Out-of-State Program Credit

An operator can receive credit for time in which they maintain an IID in their vehicle while residing in another jurisdiction. You must provide proof to the RMV that an IID was maintained, serviced and you were not subject to any program violations during the period in which you seek credit. You must use an IID vendor/service provider that conducts business in Massachusetts and the state where you reside, and the IID must be set to the same standards as Massachusetts.

Out-of-State Resident Policy

Yes, Melanie's Law and the IID program requirements apply to out-of-state licensed drivers who are convicted of two or more OUI’s in Massachusetts. If an IID is required, you cannot drive in Massachusetts without one. To find out if you are eligible to reinstate your right to operate in Massachusetts, you will need to contact an RMV Hearings Officer or the RMV’s Ignition Interlock Department. If you have an active out-of-state license, but operate in Massachusetts without an IID, the Registry of Motor Vehicles has the right to suspend your license for a minimum of ten years and up to a lifetime suspension. If you do not have an active out-of-state license, you are also subject to criminal penalties.

The Ignition Interlock Department can be reached by phone at 857-368-7180.

Gov Delivery MassDOT Twitter MassDOT Flicker MassDOT Facebook MassDOT Youtube MassDOT Instagram MassDOT Blog MassDOT SocialMedia MassDOT Developer Resources
Translation Disabled |  Translation Support
Copyright © 2017 Commonwealth of Massachusetts