Obtaining a Duplicate Registration
You may obtain a duplicate registration by mail, by telephone, on the Internet or in person.
A $25.00 fee is required for a duplicate registration.
If obtaining a duplicate registration in person, you will receive your duplicate registration at that time. If obtaining a duplicate registration by mail, by telephone or on the Internet, please allow at least 10 days processing time for your duplicate registration to be mailed to you.
To Obtain a Duplicate Registration by Mail:
- You must send in a written request that includes the year, the make, the model, the vehicle identification number (VIN), and the plate number of the vehicle.
Please make sure your mailing address is correct.
- Mail your request and required fee (check or money order), to the address listed below.
Attn: Mail In Registration
Registry of Motor Vehicles
PO Box 55891
Boston, MA 02205-5891
To Obtain a Duplicate Registration by Telephone:
You may call the Telephone Center. You must have a MasterCard, Visa or Discover and know your plate number before calling. The required fee will be charged to your MasterCard, Visa or Discover.
To Obtain a Duplicate Registration on the Internet:
- Your plate type must be one of the following:
- Standard Passenger
- Cape Cod & Islands
- Ham Operator
- Antique (Year of Manufacture)
- Motorcycle Reserve
- Motorcycle Vanity
- Motorcycle Veteran
- Olympic Spirit
- Environmental Trust (Right Whale)
- Year of Manufacture
- Purple Heart
- Basketball Hall of Fame
- Proceed to the Transaction Page and follow the instructions for obtaining a duplicate registration.
You must have a MasterCard, Visa or Discover. The required fee will be charged to your MasterCard, Visa or Discover.
If you need to obtain a duplicate for any other type of registration, you may go to any full service RMV center, mail in a request or call the Telephone Center.
To Obtain a Duplicate Registration in Person:
Go to any full service RMV center and complete a Universal Form. After paying the required fee, you will be given a duplicate registration.
The fee is payable by cash, check or money order.