Canceling a Registration
To Cancel your Registration:
- You may cancel your registration by visiting our online branch.
You may cancel your registration on our website by providing your Massachusetts license number and the last four digits of your SSN. If the vehicle is under a lease, you must enter the FID number provided by your leasing company.
If you have converted your license to another state, or do not have your Massachusetts license number available, you may locate it on your Massachusetts insurance policy or by contacting your insurance company.
You will be able to print out your Plate Return Receipt once you have processed the transaction
- You may cancel your registration at any full service RMV branch office.
You will receive one plate return receipt.
- If you are unable to go to the RMV in person, you may mail in your plates to the address listed below.
Registry of Motor Vehicles
PO Box 55889
Boston, MA 02205-5889
You will receive one plate return receipt in the mail.
Please note that the receipt will be mailed to the address currently on file. If you have moved, please include your new address with your plates.
You need to provide the Assessor's Office from your town with a copy of your plate return receipt and documentation on the whereabouts of your vehicle so they can process any excise tax adjustment that may be due.
To Cancel a Registration Without the Plates:
- Download a Lost Plate Affidavit form (C-19) or go to any full service RMV branch office and fill out the form.
If you go to a Branch, the form will be stamped at that time or you may mail the completed C-19 form to the address above. Your stamped C-19 will be mailed back to you with the Registrar's stamp.
- Make a photocopy for your insurance company and keep the original for your own records.
You need to provide the Assessor's Office from your town with a copy of your plate cancellation receipt and documentation on the whereabouts of your vehicle so they can process any excise tax adjustment that may be due.
Print This Page