You must have a valid learner's permit to schedule a road test.
If you have a Class D license or a Commercial Driver License (CDL), a Class M endorsement can be added to your current driver's license.
Commercial Driver's License (CDL)
To schedule an appointment for a CDL road test, please call the RMV Contact Center
CDL Road Test Locations By City/Town
Be Prepared for your Road Test
When you take your road test, you will need to bring the following with you:
- A completed Road Test Application; if you are under age 18, your parent or guardian must complete the Parental Consent section on the application.
- Your learner's permit
- A qualified sponsor - Note: A sponsor is not required for a Class M road test
- An acceptable, properly equipped, and legally registered vehicle to use for your test.
For applicant, sponsor, and vehicle requirements, refer to the Class D and Class M Road Test Information Sheet or the CDL Road Test Information Sheet.
Online Payment of Road Test and License Fees
You may pay your road test and license fees Online. This transaction can be done before or after you pass the road test and will eliminate the need to visit an RMV Branch.
After passing a Class D or Class M road test and paying the fees online, your permit will immediately serve as your temporary driver's license until the permanent license is delivered via the mail.
CDL applicants may pay fees online, but must visit an RMV Branch to have the license issued after passing the CDL road test.
Cancellations and Fees Policy
A road test must be canceled at least 72 hours before the scheduled test to avoid paying the road test fee. You can cancel a road test online or call the RMV Contact Center
You will still be charged for a road test if you:
- Are unprepared; for example, your vehicle fails to pass the examiner’s inspection
- Do not bring a qualified sponsor
- Do not appear or are late
- Cancel or reschedule your test with less than 72 hours notice
You can find out if your road test has been canceled by checking for an alert posted on massrmv.com or call the RMV Contact Center.
Road tests will be automatically canceled when:
- The Governor declares a state of emergency for the entire state
- The Governor declares a state of emergency in a certain region of the state (only Road Tests in this region will be canceled)
You may reschedule a road test with no additional fee if your road test was cancelled due to weather conditions.