An Owner Retained Title may be obtained, when an insurance company deems a vehicle to be a total loss and the owner keeps possession of the vehicle. The vehicle must have an active registration and is capable of being safely operated on a public way.
If the vehicle is a Recovered Theft, you must apply for a Salvage title.
A $75.00 fee, payable by check or money order, is required.
Please allow seven (7) to ten (10) business days after receipt of the application for the title to be processed and mailed. If you have any questions, call the Title Division at 857-368-8050.
To Process an Owner Retained Title:
- You must mail or bring with you the following:
- Your present certificate of Title.
- A copy of your active registration.
- An appraisal report from your insurance company.
- A completed RMV-1 application.
- A check or money order made payable to MassDOT.
- Visit the Boston RMV or the Title Division at 25 Newport Ave. Ext. Quincy, MA or mail your application and fees to:
Attn: Salvage Title Department
Registry of Motor Vehicles
PO Box 55885
Boston, MA 02205-5885
Please Note: Your vehicle remains registered and can be driven throughout the Owner Retained Salvage title process. However, your insurance company may choose not to provide physical damage coverage (comprehensive and collision). Please check with your insurance agent or company.