Massachusetts Motor Vehicle Laws Chapter 90D, requires all purchasers of motor vehicles, or trailers with a gross weight of more than 3,000 lbs. apply for a new title within ten (10) days of purchase. Failure to apply for title and pay a sales tax if due as required will result in penalties and interest added to the original tax.
If you want to title and pay sales tax only, but do not wish to register the vehicle, follow the directions below. Please note, if you are going to register the vehicle also, refer to the Applying for a Registration section.
The title fee is $75.00 plus the applicable sales tax. Sales tax will be collected on 6.25% of the dealer sales price. If the vehicle was purchased from a dealer not registered with the Department of Revenue or from a private party, the sales tax will be calculated at 6.25% of the purchase price or the National Automotive Dealer Association (NADA) clean trade-in value, whichever is higher. If no clean trade-in value is available, a default value agreed upon by both the Registry of Motor Vehicles and the Department of Revenue will be used.
Please note, sales tax on a salvage title vehicle, purchased from either a dealer or non-dealer, is collected based on 6.25% of the purchase price.
Please allow two (2) to (4) weeks for the title to be processed and mailed. If there is a lien on the vehicle, by law the title will be mailed to the lienholder.
To obtain an Original Title:
- An application for Title ( RMV-1) must be completed and signed by the owner(s). If the vehicle is purchased from a Massachusetts licensed dealer, the dealer will complete the RMV-1.
- The completed RMV-1 must be accompanied by one of the following documents:
- A manufacturers Certificate of Origin (new vehicles only), or
- The previous owner’s Certificate of Title, Dealer Re-Assignment form if applicable, or
- The previous registration and bill of sale for vehicles that are exempt because of their age.
- Federal and Massachusetts’s laws require that the seller(s) state the mileage upon transfer of ownership. Also, both buyer(s) and seller(s) are required to sign and hand print their name and date the transfer document. If the previous title has a space for a sales price, the price must be filled in. If the previous title does not have a space for a sales price, a bill of sale showing the sales price must be submitted.