If an insurance company takes possession of the vehicle, they are required to apply for a Salvage Title within 10 days. If the owner retains possession, they may have the choice of applying for either a Salvage Title or an Owner Retained Title. An Owner Retained Title can only be issued if the vehicle has an active registration and can be legally driven.
Please note, once a Salvage Title has been issued, the vehicle is no longer registered and cannot be driven.
A $50.00 application fee is required, payable by check or money order.
Please allow seven (7) to ten (10) business days after receipt of the application for the Salvage Title to be issued and mailed. If you have any questions, call the Title Division at 857-368-8050.
To Process a Salvage Title:
You may process this transaction in person or by mail.
1. Submit the following documents:
- A completed RMV-1 application, available at any full service RMV office or from a licensed Massachusetts insurance agent.
- The current Certificate of Title
- A check or money order made payable to MassDOT.
2. Visit the Boston RMV or the Title Division at 25 Newport Ave. Ext. Quincy, MA or mail your application and fees to:
Salvage Title Department
Registry of Motor Vehicles
P.O. Box 55885
Boston, MA 02205-5885